Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Life At Home

Life at home has been busy. With my child care kids coming and going, starting my 4AM-7AM job, volunteering at Caleb's school, trying to fix up our other house, Joel being sick, and the duties of life, we have been busy!

Sunday started out great. Caleb and I had a date, just him and I. We went to Old Country Buffet and enjoyed eating, and sitting there talking about the most random things. Then we went home and Caleb went down for a nap. I went for a quick grocery shopping trip. And when I came home I got Caleb ready to go to his special date night with Jimmy.

There are the two of them in all their winter gear. They went tubing on the snow hill about an hour away from our house. They had a great time out there. But Joel and I had a rough time at home. 

I tried my darndest to get him to eat. And nothing... He didn't eat anything. A little back round on Joel here. Thankfully he had a g-tube (a tube hooked up to his belly that feed his belly directly with out having to go through his mouth at all) so I hooked him up to that and let him play. Well his line got wrapped around his IV pole and then he fell and pulled out the entire g-tube! Since Jimmy was a ways away, I called my mom to come over and help me put it back in. It was leaking formula a little but we figured it would since it had just had a big balloon pulled out of his little tube hole. He did fine all day Monday but then on Monday night the g-tube site got really read and snotty looking. When he finally took a bottle at 7 pm on Monday, it came right out of his g-tube site! Which meant that nothing was staying in. I called the surgeon and went in this morning (Tuesday). They told us it had tore to much and we needed to go get an GJ tube. A GJ tube is where the tube goes right into his belly but then goes into his intestines. So it bypasses the stomach all together. We went into the hospital and got that done at 11 this morning. Now we are home and he has been sleeping for the last 3 hours.

He is on a constant pump so it feeds him all the time day and night. The only bad thing about this is that he is so mobile now and he wants to crawl/walk all over but he has this tube, bag, and pump connected to him! It used to come out all the time when he had an NJ tube (a tube that goes down his nose, throat, bypasses the stomach, then ends in the small intestine). When it does come out, he has to go back to the hospital and get a radiation x-ray movie. They gave us the G-tube so we could stop that! It's a vicious cycle.

I am thankful that through all of Joel's struggles, God has given us peace. There is no need to panic, what good can come from panicking? Nothing. God has keep us calm in most all situations and I has had a serious plan for us. The last time we were in the hospital, I was supposed to have several kids and they all called off for those few days. Even before I had a chance to call them! And now today, I was supposed to have 2 kids and they both called off. I was kinda ticked but God is good. HE  has a great plan for us :)

When Joel has these sort of changes he requires more care than normal (and normal is at least 2 dr's appointments a week and lots of feeding issues). With that being said, I am going to focus on getting Joel back up to shape and not focus on my weekly goals so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment